Are you eligible?

Basic Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible to apply for community housing you must meet all of these criteria:

  • Be a South Australian resident
  • Meet the income and asset limits
  • Be at least 16 years old
  • Not own or part own any residential property


To look at the Government information on eligibility for community housing click on the link below to take you to the relevant area of the website.

Eligibility for Community Housing


If you do not meet either the income or asset limits but still meet the basic criteria and are able to meet the needs test you may still be eligible to apply for community housing.

Needs Test

You must be able to demonstrate that you:

  • Cannot stay where you are currently living
  • Are unable to maintain any other form of housing – e.g. renting privately.

Household Composition

If your household can be defined as two separate households – e.g. a couple with a child living with a financially independent elderly relative, both households must be individually eligible to apply.

Income and Asset Limits

Everyone on your application must meet the income and asset limits (PDF 40KB) for community housing. For an alternative version of this document contact Community Partnerships and Growth (CPG).

Assets can include:

  • Cash and money lodged with a financial institution
  • Overseas assets converted to Australian dollars
  • Real estate – e.g. vacant land
  • Shares, bonds and investments
  • Household and personal effects
  • Cars, boats, caravans, motor homes
  • Any debts you are currently owed

What if I have Special Circumstances?

If you don’t meet the basic eligibility criteria but believe you have special circumstances you may still be able to register for community housing. You will need to demonstrate the special circumstances that are to be taken into consideration. These are generally issues that restrict you from other housing options – e.g. renting privately.

You may be asked to attend a housing needs assessment interview. This is to assess your situation and to identify any specific needs you may have – e.g. help to remain independent at home.

Demonstrating Special Circumstances

Letters of support or a housing needs report form must be completed by a professional support worker who is aware of your needs and is to be provided to Westside Housing Association Inc. with your Registration of interest form so that your circumstances can be assessed.

People who write letters of support are usually:

  • Social workers
  • Medical professionals and specialists
  • Police
  • Community, disability or health workers.

You can locate services in your area through the SA Community website.

What happens next?

After the housing needs assessment is completed you will receive a letter informing you of the outcome.

Even if you have special circumstances it can still take a very long time before you are offered a property. This is because there may be other applicants with special circumstances who have already been approved for earlier assistance or there may not be many properties that match your household circumstances or area preferences that become available.