The Westside Green Thumb Grants have now all been allocated for 2017 and 2018
16 deserving tenants from all over Adelaide each received a grant for them to undertake front yard and neighborhood projects, which included:
- plant a shared vege patch in a unit complex
- plant verge fruit trees
- more native trees to attract bird-life
- a front yard tree to block traffic lights and shade a bedroom.
Green Thumb Grant Review
In 2017 Westside started the Green Thumb Grant, providing 15 x $200 Bunnings Gift Voucher to households who wanted to undertake a front yard project. Working in the front yard would lead to outcomes that included spending more time outdoors, developing and improving relationships with neighbours and others in the community, improving a sense of pride in the home and utilising grown produce. After completing an initial review with some grant recipients, we found out that (as a result of their front garden activity):
- 100% enjoy the changes in their garden
- 100% have met new people and developed better relationships with those in their neighbourhood
- 100% have pride in their garden
- 80% spend more time outdoors
- 80% would not have been able to afford this work otherwise
- 100% have received positive feedback about their garden work
- 2 recipients eat more fresh produce from their garden and 3 recipients feel safer.
Green Thumb Grants in the future
Westside is considering offering the Grants again. Anyone who wishes to can be placed on a waitlist.
You can contact Alex on 08 8155 6082 or email email@example.com with the front yard project you want to do, or with any questions or feedback about the Green Thumb Grants.